Elected Officials Present:
Tamara Cornwell, Vice Mayor, Commissioner-at-Large 2
Jonathan Davis, Commissioner-at-Large 1
Harold Smith, Commissioner, Ward 1
Tambra Varnadore, Commissioner, Ward 2
Brian Williams, Commissioner, Ward 3
Elected Officials Absent:
Shirley Groover Bryant, Mayor
Mark Barnebey, City Attorney
Jim Freeman, City Clerk
Mohammed Rayan, Public Works Deputy Director
Scott Tyler, Chief of Police
Amber LaRowe, Assistant City Clerk
Vice Mayor Cornwell called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
1. PUBLIC HEARING---TENTATIVE MILLAGE RATE AND TENTATIVE FISCAL YEAR 2020
Vice Mayor Cornwell opened the public hearing to discuss the tentative millage rate and tentative FY 2020 budget.
· We are here tonight to adopt the City of Palmetto tentative millage and budget for FY 2020 that begins October 1, 2019.
· The City proposes to adopt a FY 2020 Millage of 5.9671 per $1,000 of taxable value, which is 5.94% greater than the rolled back rate of 5.6324. The rolled-back rate is the rate that will allow the City to collect the same amount of revenues in comparison to the prior year.
· Taxable value in the City for the FY 2020 budget is $914,066,858, which represents an increase of 7.33% compared to the prior year.
· The overall City-wide budget is $32,543,086, which is 11.5% higher than last year. The General Fund budget is $12,386,933. Additional revenues are being used to fund personnel costs, capital expenditures, public safety, CRA expenditures, and utility infrastructure needs within the City.
Vice Mayor Cornwell closed the public hearing after hearing no public comment
A. RESOLUTION 2019-30 TENTATIVE FY 2020 MILLAGE (read in its entirety)
Motion: Commissioner Davis moved, Commissioner Varnadore seconded, and the motion carried 5-0 to adopt Resolution 2019-30.
B. RESOLUTION 2019-31 TENTATIVE FY 2020 BUDGET (read in its entirety)
Motion: Commissioner Davis moved, Commissioner Varnadore seconded, and the motion carried 5-0 to adopt Resolution 2019-31.
Vice Mayor Cornwell adjourned the meeting at 5:37 p.m.